Friday, September 24, 2010

A Brief, Shining Moment...

Yep. I had it all for about about 15 minutes. The bright lights shined on me and the fame - oh the fame!
Sorry, I'll get a grip on myself. :)

Truth is that I was alerted on twitter earlier this week that A Passion to Protect, my entry in the Harlequin Mills & Boon New Voices contest was the top rated entry out of over 600! I even took a screen capture to make sure this momentous achievement could be proved to the hubby.
I know it's hard to read, but that's my name and my story right there up top!

In all honesty, the whole ratings thing has been interesting and silly because it's obvious there are people rating good stories very low in order to keep them from having high ratings. I've read so many great ones that had really low scores that it made me stop caring about the rating (well, stop obsessing over it at least since I can't really say I don't care).

What does really matter to me are the comments since that was my main motivation to enter besides the idea that my little entry just might catch an editor's interest. If you haven't had a chance to read and comment on my chapter, you can find it here.
Thank you to those who've already read it and commented and to anyone willing to head over and give me advice!

2 comments:

  1. That's sad that people are doing that with the rankings. I think you're right to focus on the comments, and potential editor interest. That is what matters most in the long run -- although I don't blame you for enjoying your moment at the top! I would have done the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still feels good because whether it's realized or not, all of those good ratings are tools for you. And you know...a part of you wonders... So, enjoy that little bit and screw the rest!

    ReplyDelete

What did you decide today?